Physicians of people
Jordi Gol i Gurina (1924-1985) wanted to be known as a physician of people. He was both a man of thought and action, passionate about living. A humanist as well as a doctor, he did not shy away from any commitment in his work and in the understanding of the human being. Trained in a demanding scientific and academic tradition, he practiced bedside medicine with a generosity of spirit that made him loved until the end of his life.
With an inquisitive mind and a larger than life personality, he started and promoted significant discussions on the health system, put forward ambitious but feasible projects, and contributed incessantly with a constructive and honest criticism.
Born in a paternalistic era, he taught us to be independent. In short-sighted, individualistic times, he showed us how to be caring and enthusiastic.
Dr. Jordi Gol loved both Catalonia and medicine deeply. He was a born researcher, committed to health for the individual and for the popularion as a whole, and also an indefatigable campaigner for a more fair and peaceful world. His legacy are his powerful teachings and his courageous search for the truth.
It is our responsibility towards him and towards our nation to follow in his open approach to medicine, society and research.
Milestones of his professional career:
- Bachelor in Medicine, University of Barcelona (UB), 1949.
- General practitioner for the National Health Service from 1961.
- Head of the Internal Medicine Department at the Hospital de la Creu Roja, Barcelona, 1970-1975.
- Member of the Board of Governors of the Academy of Medical Sciences of Catalonia and the Balearic Islands, 1972-1980.
- Member of the Board of Directors and coordinator of the topic ON HEALTH in the 10th Meeting of Catalan-Speaking Physicians and Scientists, 1976.
- Member of the Board of Directors of the College of Physicians of Barcelona, 1977-1980.
- President of the Health Information and Documentation Committee of the Academy of Medical Sciences of Catalonia and the Balearic Islands, 1979-1985.
- President of the Experts’ Committee “Family Doctor” and the Experts’ Committee “Comprehensive Health Centre“(GAPS) of the College of Physicians of Barcelona, 1977-1980.
- President of the Commission for the Clinical History in Primary Care (HCAP) of the Health Department (1981-1982) and of the Commission for the implementation of the HCAP of the Health Department (1984-1985).
- Guest Lecturer at the UB, UAB, Sant Cugat Theology Faculty, Catalan Summer University of Prada, IES, ICESB, Family and Community Medicine Teaching Unit, Social Workers College, Chair of Gerontology of the ISPA and Santa Madrona Nursing College.